[Samba] rpc_pipe_open_ncalrpc: connect(/run/samba/ncalrpc/EPMAPPER) failed: No such file or directory

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Oct 2 17:27:43 UTC 2023

02.10.2023 15:22, Norbert Hanke via samba:
> on two of my DCs:
>
>  > samba -V
> Version 4.17.10-Debian
>  > file /run/samba/ncalrpc/EPMAPPER
> /run/samba/ncalrpc/EPMAPPER: socket

Yes, this socket does exist on a DC. It is being listened
by "samba: task[rpc] pre-forked worker(0)".

It does not exist on a member server, where I observe these
log messages.

Here, on a member server, samba-dcerpc is being started and
exited numerous times, each time logging a warning about it
being unable to connect to /run/samba/ncalrpc/EPMAPPER - which
does not exist on a member server.

/run/samba/ncalrpc/np/epmapper socket is being listened by
samba-dcerpc itself.  So these are two different sockets.

Instead of observing the behavour and guessing, I'd love to
know how things *should* work.

Thanks,

/mjt