[Samba] [EXTERNAL] Re: 4.17.1 rpcd_winreg, rpcd_spoolss and printing

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 13:58:57 UTC 2023

> From: Achim Gottinger <achim at ag-web.biz>
> I'm having a similar issue. After updating from Debian Wheezy with Samba 4.7.7 to bookworm with samba 4.18.6. On at least two locations printing takes up to 10 minutes and i see alot of rpcd_winreg,
> rpcd_spoolss processes consuming alot of memory. I can temporary fix it by restarting samba.
> How did you fix it on your side?

Hi Achim,

I cheated and put this is my crontab:
*/30 * * * * killall -o 10m rpcd_winreg
*/30 * * * * killall -o 10m rpcd_spoolss

Every 30mins, kill all rpcd_winreg and rpcd_spoolss processes that are over 10 minutes old. Worked brilliantly.

I tried everything I could think of including redeploying GPOs, building a new server and a fresh Windows 11 client. At one point I thought it was only the win10 clients causing it, but then the win11 clients started too.

Sadly my entire linux estate has now been removed and we've been forced to move to Microsoft's 365 with cloud-based uniFlow for the printing, so I can't try anything else.

Tim