[Samba] winbind DC connections

Vaughan, Robert J vaughar2 at gdls.com
Thu Nov 30 18:05:40 UTC 2023

Hello

We had a strange issue yesterday where some of my Red Hat Linux winbind clients became hung while waiting on presumably a Windows DC authentication (ssh login was the test)

Seems like the affected hosts were authenticating to either one of two physical Windows AD DC, meanwhile other the unaffected hosts seemed fine to either one of two Windows DC VMs.

Anyway it got me wondering about how winbind handles authentication requests that seem to be hung (timing out perhaps, DC becomes un-responsive etc)?

If it knows of 4 different AD DC in its Kerberos config, will it not switch to another available DC in such a situation?  Is this something I should configure by adjusting timeouts?

Once choosing a DC does winbind stick with that DC until a restart?

Thanks folks,

Rob

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.