[Samba] Provisioning new AD Domain Controller

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 30 16:00:54 UTC 2023

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:54:47 +0000
bd730c5053df9efb via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As a slackware user I can confirm slackware's samba package is built
> against mit. I'm running several samba AD DC's and have only had to
> create a new rc script to start /usr/sbin/samba instead of
> slackware's stock samba init script, i never needed to start a kdc
> (which by the way slack 15 has a rc.krb5kdc script which you could
> set as executable but again, I didn't need to do this to run a DC)

I am aware that Slackware is built again MIT, I know this because I
told them (after some testing on my part) that they were supplying an
experimental feature without telling anyone (as Fedora is doing). I
have no object to anyone using MIT with a Samba DC (it's not my place),
but I feel that if this happens, the distro should explain this and
advise that perhaps using an experimental DC in production isn't a good
idea. It isn't as if they do not know it is experimental, you have to
pass '--with-experimental-mit-ad-dc' to './configure'.

I also feel that if the distro does supply Samba DC packages that use
MIT, then they should also provide precise details on how to set up the
DC, including setting up the KDC.

Rowland