[Samba] Questions on this upgrade scenario

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 27 23:55:17 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-11-27 at 10:38 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> From what I can see, there is one DC running on Centos 6 with
> Samba4.1.0, there are only 6 clients.
> This is what I would do and it will probably be the quickest way:
> Set up a new DC on Debian 12, using Samba from backports, this will
> getyou a very recent version of Samba.
> Create your users and groups in the new AD Domain.
> On the clients, leave the domain and then join the new domain.
> Demote the old DC and then turn into a Unix domain member, sort out
> thepermissions on the data you have stored on it (I get the feeling
> thatyou are using the old DC as a fileserver as well).
> Create yet another Samba machine and join this as another DC (one DC
> isa bad idea, two or more is good).
> Any questions ?

Thanks Rowland, I strongly agree this is the best approach at such a
small scale.

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions