[Samba] Switching to a RFC2307 Schema

mail at rhizomatic-nomad.net mail at rhizomatic-nomad.net
Sat Nov 25 17:58:02 UTC 2023

Hello,

after stumbling in almost every thread, that it makes sense to have
RFC2307 enabled, I wanted to switch an AD DC to it and follwed this wiki
page https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_RFC2307_in_AD

When I try to import the modified ldif file, I get an error message:
ERR: (Entry already exists) "Entry
CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=ad,DC=url,DC=de already exists"
on DN CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=ad,DC=url,DC=de at block
before line 5
Modify failed after processing 0 records"

Fortunately nothing seems to be broken, as it's still possible to start
the Samba service again.

Yes, I wonder about that message, I didn't find an error I did following
that tutorial and I'm sure that the Samba Active Directory was
provisioned without RFC2307.

Searching if other people experienced the same error I found this
discussion
https://groups.google.com/g/mailing.unix.samba-technical/c/8vQIEkIQIiw
mentioning that "rfc2307 is ALWAYS activated for a Samba4 DC".
Unfortunately there is no explanation after "check the following, to
find out, if RFC2307 is already enabled:", so I don't know how to check
that.

I don't have the need for an AD backend and am using rid at the moment,
but as it could happen that we need to allow logins to Linux servers I
would like to have the ability to do that if necessary.

Anybody has an idea what could cause that error?

Thanks a lot in advance
Sinni