[Samba] LDAP_MATCHING_RULE_IN_CHAIN no longer working after upgrade?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 22 20:22:31 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-11-22 at 17:33 +0000, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 at 01:03, Andrew Bartlett <
> abartlet at samba.org
> > wrote:
> > Are you sure that the ACLs on all the items in the chain should
> > allow reading?
>
> It's an excellent question, thank you - I'd like to just say "Yes"
> but
> I will certainly check, as it's of course possible that my domain was
> misconfigured previously, and the change has in fact introduced
> correct behaviour..
>
> Am I right in thinking that the objects I need to look at are
> - the group itself
> - all (some?) members of the group
> - any others?

The full chain.

> Are permissions checked in a hiearchical fashion, i.e. if OU=myou
> does
> not allow a particular user to read it, then would
> CN=somegroup,OU=myou still be denied regardless of the explicit
> permissions on the CN=somegroup,OU=myou object?

That is what I am getting at.  The full chain must be checked.

>  And I believe I'm
> correct in thinking that a user can be a member of a group, even
> though that user might not have permission to read the group
> themselves...?

They can be members, when Samba assigns group memberships it does as
'system' via other code, but reading them via this mechanism for an
unprivileged user won't work.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions