[Samba] Question on Samba and Synology NAS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 22 15:44:26 UTC 2023

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 23:28:22 +0800
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Subject: Question on Samba and Synology NAS
>
> Good day from Singapore,
>
> As an IT solutions provider, we have many clients with Synology NAS
> devices.
>
> How do we find out what Linux distro the Synology NAS is running on
> and what version of Samba is being used?

As far as I understand it, the Linux version is their own and whatever
Samba version it claims to be, it is likely to be an older version of
Samba and heavily mangled with multiple extension that synology have
added themselves. From past experience of problems on this list with
synology appliances, you can only be sure of getting any real support
from synology.

To be blunt, you could not give me a synology device/

Rowland