[Samba] winbind hang

Vaughan, Robert J vaughar2 at gdls.com
Thu Nov 16 18:42:53 UTC 2023

Hello

We are running several Red Hat 7 servers as domain members using AD for winbind idmap backend and it had been working fine (no sssd is configured either)

The last month or so (possibly since the latest samba-winbind package update we applied on Sep 24), server ssh logins on several servers hang on occasion, until a winbind restart, when it all works again

Since this is the Red Hat supplied samba-winbind I do have a ticket open with them but thought I might pose a question here too in case it sounds familiar to anyone

We ALWAYS see this entry in log.winbindd at the moment the problem happens ..

[2023/10/31 13:51:05.544086,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_dual.c:337(wb_child_request_cleanup)
  wb_child_request_cleanup: keep orphaned subreq[0x55cbee9dc870]

but, we never see what appears to be the "response", when the problem does not happen like this ..

[2023/09/06 16:51:23.703029,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_dual.c:337(wb_child_request_cleanup)
  wb_child_request_cleanup: keep orphaned subreq[0x555c02252ca0]
[2023/09/06 16:52:07.229083,  1] ../../source3/winbindd/winbindd_dual.c:281(wb_child_request_orphaned)
  wb_child_request_orphaned: cleanup orphaned subreq[0x555c02252ca0]

One other thing, when the problem occurs, the restart of winbind seems to kill winbindd processes except one, which hangs out for something like 60 seconds, then eventually dies and new processes show up

Thanks,

Rob

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.