[Samba] DNS: Update not allowed for unsigned packet

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Wed Nov 8 17:00:51 UTC 2023

Found a work-around.

Manually create a DNS entry for the machine that is unable to register a
new record.  i.e. 'USSIF1DOFC07' with any random IP address.
Edit the newly-created record, grant the computer account (USSIF1DOFC07)
full privileges.
Run 'ipconfig /registerdns' on the machine.

If I had to guess, when a machine gets joined to the domain, the DNS record
is created and the computer can update it.
If the record gets deleted out of DNS, the domain-joined machine can't
recreate itself like it can in the Windows environment.
The record already has to exist with the proper permissions.

I'd say there's probably a bug in the Samba code related to DNS updates
where it can't recreate records from domain-joined machines only if they
already exist.

-A