[Samba] Unable to contact RPC server on a new DC

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 7 18:39:57 UTC 2023

Greetings, Luis Peromarta!

> • You should not use idmap declarations in a DC. Domain Controllers use
> idmap.ldb for id-mapping, which is only used on a DC.
> • If using ‘ad' idmap in the AD, you should only use this on the DC:

The thing is, this is a literal copy of the DC1 configuration, which was
working for years, but I had to discontinue it (very old 32-bit base OS,
unable to upgrade).

> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307  = yes

> • I think your workgroup name should be ADS, not DARKDRAGON.

Not related. You can give them any names you like.

> • You don’t need all the winbind lines neither.
> • Your templates declarations are the default for non-ad idmapping. Login
> shell and Unix home directory path can be stored in the RFC2307 attributes when using ‘ad’ idmap.

To my knowledge, most of these settings either irrelevant or default on DC.
I mostly keep them for self-reference.

>  I’d start with a simpler configuration like this:

> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         dns forwarder = 192.168.1.12
>         netbios name = DC2
>         realm = ADS.DARKDRAGON.LAN
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         workgroup = ADS
>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307  = yes

> [sysvol]
>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>         read only = No

> [netlogon]
>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mad.mater.int/scripts
>         read only = No

Will try if there are no better ideas.

--
With best regards,