[Samba] Spotlight issues

Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft matthias.kuehne at ellerhold.de
Mon Nov 6 09:04:45 UTC 2023

Hello,

yes sadly update 8.9 of elasticsearch broke the samba integration. Seems
like 8.10 is still broken. Stay on 8.8 until this is fixed. Ive emailed
Ralph Böhme of Sernet already, but hes got no time for it atm.

Im not sure about the second part of your bug report though:

> There is a bug where when the samba server is running and files are being indexed while samba is running finder will return results correctly in the quick search bar when searched with individual files listed.
>
> However, when you restart smb/smbd services finder no longer returns search results using this method (sometimes it shows folders, sometimes it shows nothing).
>
> Files can still be searched in finder by opening up the advanced search results with the plus icon and selecting contents. But they can no longer be searched from the quick search bar without doing this.
This is with elasticsearch < 8.9 (7.17)? It only shows result while the
indexer is running? Weird... the indexer should just populate the DB
(elasticsearch) with documents. It shouldnt matter to samba if the
indexer is currently running or not.

Which indexer do you use? I never got fscrawler to work, so... shameless
plug: Im mainting my own indexer over at
https://github.com/Ellerhold/fs2es-indexer/issues - give it a look if
you want. Or dont. ;)

For us (Samba 4.18 + Elasticsearch 8.8 + fs2es-indexer) the quick search
works (sometimes takes while though) and the advanced search is somewhat
funky but mostly works. Be aware that as far as I know only the filename
criteria are implemented in Samba (and my indexer). Everything else like
size, date etc are silently ignored by samba.

Hope this helps,
Matthias Kühne.

--
Senior Webentwickler
Datenschutzbeauftragter

Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft
Friedrich-List-Str. 4
01445 Radebeul

Telefon: +49 (0) 351 83933-61
Web: www.ellerhold.de
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ellerhold.gruppe
Instagram: www.instagram.com/ellerhold.gruppe
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/ellerhold-gruppe

Amtsgericht Dresden / HRB 23769
Vorstand: Stephan Ellerhold, Maximilian Ellerhold
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Frank Ellerhold

---Diese E-Mail und Ihre Anlagen enthalten vertrauliche Mitteilungen. Sollten Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Adressat sein, so bitten wir Sie um Mitteilung und um sofortiges löschen dieser E-Mail und der Anlagen.

Unsere Hinweise zum Datenschutz finden Sie hier: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/

This e-mail and its attachments are privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us and immediately delete this e-mail and its attachments.

You can find our privacy policy here: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/