[Samba] Again kea DHCP-Server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 2 10:41:10 UTC 2023

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:34:44 +0000
Owen DeLong via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Well… I’m not convinced KEA can’t be simple DHCP, though I understand
> that one would never know that from reading the KEA documentation.
>
> The following is a complete KEA configuration suitable to do a single
> subnet. In fact, you could probably get away with slightly less. I’ve
> replaced the unique addresses from my environment with placeholders
> (e.g. <network/mask>), but otherwise, this is a working configuration
> from a real environment. I find it easier to use KEA in simple
> environments than keep track of multiple DHCP servers and go back and
> forth amongst their quirks, so I use KEA even in the few simple
> environments I manage.
>
> Below is an example minimal-ish KEA DHCP4 configuration file. Point
> is, I don’t think that the below is particularly complex (all of 56
> lines (additional subnets would require ~17 additional lines each)).
> Yes, the JSON syntax isn’t what I would call “human friendly” and
> it’s very persnickety about some things, but it’s workable.

I never said that Kea couldn't be used with Samba, but I can get those
56 lines of Kea conf into 7 lines of dnsmasq config.

As I said, if anyone wants to add the Kea config to the Samba wiki,
then please do. I just ask that nothing is removed from the existing
dhcp wiki page.

My personal opinion is that Kea should have been written in 'block'
format, you start with a basic block and add your required blocks. At
the moment, Kea appears to be the 'Swiss army knife' of DHCP servers,
everything in one program.

Rowland