[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Fri Jun 23 16:04:55 UTC 2023

Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> As most of what was in /run/samba is now in /var/cache/samba and
> survives a reboot, I therefore feel it is a safe assumption that
> something in /run/samba is required for offline logon, 'gencache.tdb' ?

OK, i supposed also that (please, restore that on wiki), but as just stated
i've not a problem with reboot... ;-)

> I still think that dns has a place in this somewhere, I have an
> /etc/hosts file that looks like this:

I'm still using my 'old' DNS and DHCP setup, and DHCP server does not assign
the AD domain to client (for windows cliend it is not needed: thay have the
AD domain dns suffix as predefined by default, after joined).

Also, as just stated, previous Ubuntu 16.04 worked perfectly with the same
dns setup, so probably it is not the culprit.

> If I run the following commands when connected to the network, I get the
> expected output:

Also trying to fiddle with /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname, i was not able to
print the domain, eg:

> hostname -d
> samdom.example.com
> hostname -f
> testdm12.samdom.example.com

i get empty result (hostname -f return the host).

I've tried to disable DHCP and setup manual network connectivity (cabled)
using domain DNS (DCs)

Nothing changed.

If network is connected, all works as expected; if i disconnect cable, all
(logon, a simple 'id gaio', ...) stop instantly to work...

I'm starting to get a bit desperate...

--
  Ubuntu in Zulu significa "Non so usare Debian".
					(cit. CtRiX)