[Samba] Searching Samba share file contents

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:35:39 UTC 2023

Op 15-06-2023 om 15:26 schreef Nick Couchman via samba:
>>> Hey, Noel,
>>> Is this ready to be tested out? Is the process simply to check out the
>>> npower_wsp_norecurse_client branch, build Samba from that, and then
>>> give it a go?
>> yes, simply add  --enable-wsp to your configure line and you should be
>> good to go
>>
>> please note: this is only the client part and the client will only work
>> against windows machines where the WSP service is enabled and configured
>>
> Ah, bummer - I don't think I have any Windows file servers with search
> enabled, or enough data to make a difference - my need is the
> opposite, I need the WSP service on Samba so that my Windows Clients
> can search more quickly, especially over higher-latency (VPN) links.
>
> -Nick

I understand your confusion reading Noel's text, but this works with
Samba fileservers and Windows clients.

You do need configuration on the Windows clients and there is more than
just Samba fileserver on the server-side: you need elasticsearch or
opensearch, fscrawler (or similar) and some extra lines in smb.conf.

I have the server-side installed and running.

- Kees.