[Samba] [EXTERNAL]Re: SMB1 Domain stopped working after updates quick solution needed

Mark Bannister mark at injection-moldings.com
Mon Jun 12 20:51:16 UTC 2023

> On 12/06/2023 21:16, Mark Bannister via samba wrote:
>>>
>> Excellent.  OK,  I installed:
>>
>> sudo apt install winbind libpam-winbind libnss-winbind krb5-config
>> samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules
>
> Did it actually install the last two ?
> I ask it this because I normally just install the 'samba' package and
> get those as dependencies, yet you seemed to have the 'samba' package
> already installed. However, you should be able to run winbind by
> itself, you just get authentication.
>
> You also do not need krb5-config, your PDC doesn't use kerberos, that
> is an AD thing.

Right, didn't install krb5-config actually.  It was in a cut and paste
before I took it out.  Not sure about the last two if they actually
installed, not sure I paid enough attention.

>> Not sure I needed all that.  Winbind exits after starting.  I see
>> this message in the log.winbindd-idmap.log
>>
>> [2023/06/12 15:08:45.470947,  3]
>> ../../source3/winbindd/idmap.c:397(idmap_init_domain)
>>    idmap backend rid not found
>> [2023/06/12 15:08:45.606645,  3]
>> ../../lib/util/modules.c:167(load_module_absolute_path)
>>    load_module_absolute_path: Module
>> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/idmap/rid.so' loaded
>>

> Have you tried restarting all three binaries, smbd, nmbd and winbind ?

Yes, cold rebooted even.

>> It's been years since if messed with any winbind stuff.  Looks like
>> I'm missing something?
>
> And it has been years since I set up an NT4-style PDC, so a bit unsure.
>
> Rowland

Ok, so I need to search for info on a "NT4-sytle PDC"?  Everything I
find is about AD.  Do you think this error is the reason for Winbind
exiting "idmap backend rid not found"  ?

--
Mark B