[Samba] Trying to build Samba from source on RHEL 8

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 7 13:22:48 UTC 2023

On 06/06/2023 18:29, Flynn, Garrett S RTX via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build Samba from source on a RHEL version 8 server.  I installed all the necessary packages and untarred the source for Samba version 4.6.10.
> In the past I have been able to successfully build and install Samba version 4.13.17 on a RHEL version 7 server with Python2.
> Here I believe I am using Python3, but I cannot seem to get past the configure command:
>
> [root at v2ecsqapp09 samba-4.16.10]# ./configure
> Setting top to                           : /usr/local/src/Samba/samba-4.16.10
> Setting out to                           : /usr/local/src/Samba/samba-4.16.10/bin

I haven't got access to RHEL 8, but using Rocky Linux 8, I can build Samba.

First, have you downloaded and run the Centos 8 bootstrap script you can
find here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba

Have you actually installed python3 ?
yum install @python36

and then set RHEL to use it with:

alternatives --config python

After that, downloading and unpacking Samba should allow you to build it.

Rowland