[Samba] Failed to convert SID to a UID

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 4 14:55:24 UTC 2023

On 04/06/2023 15:11, Dale Renton via samba wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried them without success.
>
> Strange that wbinfo works but getent does not.

Not really, wbinfo reads directly from AD, getent goes via nsswitch.

For getent to work using the 'ad' idmap backend, a few things have to
fall into place:

You have to set the correct relevant lines in smb.conf.

You have have to give the Domain Users group a gidNUmber, or if using
'idmap config WORKGROUP : unix_primary_group = yes', that the relevant
group has a gidNumber.

You give the user a uidNumber and if using 'unix_primary_group' the
relevant groups gidNumber

All Numbers used for the uidNumber & gidNumber attributes must be inside
the range you set for the 'WORKGROUP' in smb.conf

Usually when a user doesn't get a UID, one of the above isn't correct.

Rowland