[Samba] Fwd: PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jun 3 14:57:32 UTC 2023

On 03/06/2023 12:27, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> However for a lookup with the command 'id' pam_winbind is irrelevant
> since we only do a user and group lookup, it is nss-winbind that is
> being used.
>
> I don't see any differences between our smb.conf file that could cause
> this issue, do you?
>
> I guess the next thing to try is increase log level to a high value and
> repeat the test, any other ideas?
>
> - Kees.

When you logon it is pam_winbind that is used, from my tests there is
just one line different in /var/log/auth.log between having the network
connected or not at logon
Without the network, I get this extra line:

May 28 08:20:59 member1 lightdm: pam_winbind(lightdm:auth): User rowland
logged on using cached credentials

If you use gdm3, you get a similar line.

By all means try a higher log level, but my gut feeling is that it is
something at the OS level that is creating the wait.

Rowland