[Samba] Van Belle Packages & Samba 4.15

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Feb 16 17:09:37 UTC 2023

16.02.2023 19:34, Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba пишет:
> As I recall (& maybe I'm wrong), with the Van Belle packages
> you did not need to specify each package - "upgrade samba"
> did the trick.
>
> With the backports it seems you need to specify each
> of the packages.  How do you know you got everything selected
> so that you don't end up with problems.

I think I replied to this multiple times. Debian Backports archive
contains everything which has been backported. You don't want to
install everything from bpo, you only want to install selected
parts of it (eg samba).  For this reason, bpo archive has
"NotAutomatic" tags (see man apt_preferencs).  So when installing
something from bpo, you have to tell apt to install from bpo,
like this:

   apt install -t bullseye-backports samba

Once installed, it will keep everything updated from bpo automatically
(this is what "ButAutomaticUpgrades" tag is for, in the same manpage).

/mjt