[Samba] Syncing the Man Page to Samba Site?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 26 07:38:35 UTC 2022

On 24/09/2022 23:29, Eddie Rowe via samba wrote:
> I have to admit to use this web page https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.htm for reference purposes but I have discovered there is information missing there compared with the actual man page.  For example, if you were trying to use the "valid users" parameter with WinBind and an AD member server you would not know that you need to prepend "+" before your domain name.

If you check the webpage you nearly linked to (there is an 'l' missing
of the end) you would find this line under the heading 'valid users (S)':

Names starting with '@', '+' and '&' are interpreted using the same
rules as described in the invalid users parameter.

Not that it really matters, you shouldn't really be using things like
'valid users' on a Unix domain member, you should use the 'acl_xattr'
VFS object instead.

If you were looking for "min domain uid" you would not be able to find it.

It is there:

min domain uid (G)

     The integer parameter specifies the minimum uid allowed when
mapping a local account to a domain account.

     Note that this option interacts with the configured idmap ranges!

     Default: min domain uid = 1000

Rowland