[Samba] smb browse and V1

Peter Carlson peter at howudodat.com
Thu Oct 20 16:07:48 UTC 2022

On 10/20/22 08:59, David Mulder via samba wrote:
> On 10/20/22 9:53 AM, Peter Carlson via samba wrote:
>> I am getting the following error when using Nautilis / Nemo on Gnome
>> desktop, ubuntu 22.04 and connection to just smb://filesvr
>>
>>    gvfsd[8049]: smbXcli_negprot_smb1_done: No compatible protocol
>>    selected by server.
>>    failed to retrieve share list from server: connection refused
>>

> Looks like that gnome desktop client is only supporting smb1? You
> could work around this by mounting your share via mount.cifs instead
> (as long as your kernel is new enough, it should have SMB2+).

Yes that is the problem and I /think/ I acknowledged that in my original
email, sorry if I didn't.  mount.cifs is an option as I wrote in my
original email, and is in fact what we are currently doing.  But this is
not sustainable in a larger deployment, doesn't tie in well with GPO and
cant be done by a user.