[Samba] 4.17.1 rpcd_winreg, rpcd_spoolss and printing

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 19:59:08 UTC 2022

On 03 November 2022 16:44, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
> Can you do an strace on an rpcd_winreg process ? That seems an inordinate
> amount of CPU...

Hi Jeremy,

There's no printing activity on the server at the moment, but there are still a few lingering rpcd_winreg processes, so I picked the longest running one and ran 'strace -p 18841 -o rpcd_winreg.strace', left it running for 5 seconds and [ctrl]+c to stop it.

This is the 'top' output for the process:
  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
18841 root      20   0  911684 204236  18440 R  90.1  0.6 124:18.11 rpcd_winreg

I've put the output here as it's too big to post to the list:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/7604timo/7604timo/main/rpcd_winreg.strace

I've no idea what most of the output means, but skimming through it I don't see any blindingly obvious errors.....

Many thanks,

Tim