[Samba] upgrade samba-ad-4.10 -> 4.15

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 6 07:28:07 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 06:38 +0000, Petitmermet Marc Roland via samba
wrote:
> Dear all
>

> I was given the job to upgrade samba-ad-4.10.13 to the latest version
> 4.15.7 (samba+), i.e. the DC functionality and no file server. This
> is running on a bare-metal RHEL7 server and it is the only DC.
>
> I'm not sure how to plan the in-place upgrade process. Can I directly
> jump from samba-ad-4.10.13 to samba-ad-4.15.7?

Kia Ora Marc,

Yes, you should be able to upgrade in-place between those versions.

You could do a 'samba-tool dbcheck --reindex' after if you have any DNs
with a double-space in them, but otherwise it should 'just work'.

We often suggest an upgrade by joining a new DC, because that is easier
to back out if you have trouble and encourages an OS upgrade also, but
this should work.

Just watch out that to get modern Samba on RHEL7 you need a more recent
gnutls package, and you need to then be aware that this component (if
you get it from a third party source) won't be being supplied with
security updates.

If you have a genuine RHEL subscription (rather than CentOS) I would
suggest you get a new host to RHEL8 and use that.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions