[Samba] "Failed to convert SID" Errors for Some Users on UNRAID with Windows AD Domain.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 25 18:23:20 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 15:46 +0000, Geoff Bland via samba wrote:
> Thanks for the offer to check out the Unraid SMB configuration files.
> As requested, any values in <>s have been replaced with tokens rather
> the real values.
> Contents of  /etc/samba/smb.conf (it is indented like that in the
> file)
> [global]        # configurable identification        include =
> /etc/samba/smb-names.conf
>         # log stuff only to syslog        logging = syslog at 0
>         # we don't do printers        show add printer wizard = No
>     disable spoolss = Yes        load printers = No        printing =
> bsd        printcap name = /dev/null
>         # disable aio by default        aio read size = 0        aio
> write size = 0
>         # misc.        invalid users = root        unix extensions =
> No        wide links = Yes        use sendfile = Yes
>         # ease upgrades from Samba 3.6        acl allow execute
> always = Yes        # permit NTLMv1 authentication        ntlm auth =
> Yes
>         # hook for user-defined samba config        include =
> /boot/config/smb-extra.conf
>         # auto-configured shares        include = /etc/samba/smb-
> shares.conf Contents of /etc/samba/smb-names.conf
> # Generated namesnetbios name = <UNRAIDHOSTNAME>server string =
> <Unraid Server Description>hide dot files = noserver multi channel
> support = nomulticast dns register = Nodisable netbios = Noserver min
> protocol = NT1local master = yesos level = 100security = ADSworkgroup
> = <SHORTDOMAINNAME>realm = <FQDOMAINNAME>null passwords = Yesidmap
> config * : backend = hashidmap config * : range = 10000-
> 4000000000winbind use default domain = Yesldap ssl = Nont acl support
> = Yesacl map full control = Yesacl group control = Yesinherit acls =
> Yesinherit permissions = Yesmap acl inherit = Yesdos filemode =
> Yesstore dos attributes = Yesmap archive = Nomap hidden = Nomap
> system = Nomap readonly = No
> Contents of /boot/config/smb-extra.conf (looks like any "extra
> configuration" from the Unraid Settings page just gets dumped in
> here, you can see the lines I added here):
> [global]idmap config * : backend = tdbidmap config * : range = 1000-
> 4000000000#unassigned_devices_start#Unassigned devices share
> includes   include = /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-
> settings.conf#unassigned_devices_end
> The file /tmp/unassigned.devices/smb-settings.conf is empty.
>
> Contents of /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf is just a list of Unraid
> shares that are exposed over SMB, for example;
> [LanCache]        path = /mnt/user/LanCache        comment = Cache
> for downloads from Steam, Origin, Epic, Frontier, Microsoft etc.
>   browseable = yes        case sensitive = auto        preserve case
> = yes        short preserve case = yes        writeable = yes[MySQL]
>       path = /mnt/user/MySQL        comment = MySQL Database Backups
>       browseable = yes        case sensitive = auto        preserve
> case = yes        short preserve case = yes        writeable =
> yesetc...

There are a lot of default settings and a few that I wouldn't set, but
nothing really drastic. However, the 'idmap config' are another thing.
The '*' is the default domain and is meant for the BUILTIN users &
groups and anything outside the main 'DOMAIN'.

The 'idmap config' lines are set like this:

first is this line:
        include = /etc/samba/smb-names.conf

Which contains these lines:

	idmap config * : backend = hash
	idmap config * : range = 10000-4000000000

Lower down is this:
        include = /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Which contains these lines:

	idmap config * : backend = tdb
	idmap config * : range = 1000-4000000000

The latter will be used because the last version of a parameter wins.

The problem is that there are no 'DOMAIN' idmap config lines, I would
expect something like these:

	idmap config * : backend = tdb
	idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
	idmap config <SHORTDOMAINNAME> : backend = rid
	idmap config <SHORTDOMAINNAME> : range = 10000-4000000000

The other problem is that there is no way to get the ID's that you
started with.

Rowland