[Samba] Upgrade to 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1 borks printing

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Dec 27 21:11:47 UTC 2022

27.12.2022 23:53, Aaron de Bruyn via samba wrote:
> Finally got it working.
> Nothing useful in the error logs.
>
> /var/spool/samba does not exist.
> Creating it and chmoding it to 777 along with using tdbtool to create /var/cache/samba/printer_list.tdb seems to do the trick.

This is in smb.conf in [printers] section.

The postinstall script checks if this directory exists, it is
referenced in smb.conf and if yes, creates symlink pointing to
/var/tmp/.  This shouldn't affect 4.16.2+dfsg-1 in any way, but
in 4.17.something this is the case.  It is because there should
be no separate world-writable directory like this on the system,
which is also not cleaned up, it was a wrong decision to have
it in a separate dir to begin with.

So in your case (27 times!) it was not processed. I wonder when
this dir was dropped, -- where did this 2:4.16.2+dfsg-1nmu1~deb11.1
version come from, can I have the .deb please?

You'd better change your smb.conf to point to /var/tmp instead
of creating a 777-mode dir. And *especially* the 777-mode, without
the sticky bit - this is wrong, it opens your system for fun
tricks.

I don't think printer_list.tdb is actually necessary, but it
definitely helps to reduce log noise.

> 27 locations are printing again.
>
> You'd think something would complain about /var/spool/samba not existing or try to create it. Maybe I just missed it in the mass of logs. 😉

It is interesting that no errors are logged if path= in [printers]
doesn't exist.

Thanks,

/mjt