[Samba] Deploy separate DC & file share services in one host

John Mulligan phlogistonjohn at asynchrono.us
Tue Apr 19 14:19:45 UTC 2022

On Saturday, April 16, 2022 12:54:12 PM EDT Hailong Wang via samba wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I use docker to deploy AD DC & smbd file share service in two containers on
> a single host. the docker image is based on Ubuntu 20.04, samba version is
> 4.13.17.
>
> When I visit the file share service( use wsdd2 & avahi ),  windows 10 is
> worked, but other clients like macOS, have a 50 percent possibility to show
> the DC file share (netlogon & sysvol).
>
> According to "Setting up Samba as an Active Directory Domain Controller"
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Dom
> ain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server, I know AD DC
> can act as the file share service, but it will show netlogon and sysvol in
> the shared directory.
>
> Any idea?

How are you separating the network traffic for the different samba instances? Are
you trying to change ports (I see `rpc server port` set on the example)?
Alternatively, are you giving the containers different IPs?

Based on the fact that most clients require SMB traffic on port 445 I would
personally be aiming for something like the latter. But I'd like to know more
before making assumptions about your network.