[Samba] Using samba-tool to join a linux file server to the domain doesn't appear to work

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Mon Nov 8 16:09:23 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-05 12:58, Patrick Goetz via samba wrote:
> [...]
Hi folks,

A lot written about the problem joining a domain using samba-tool. As
Patrick described, I've got exactly the same behavior.

I've got a newly installed VM with Debian Bullseye with Louis' packages
4.15.1, and I have joined it to my domain. The AD is also Bullseye using
Louis' packages 4.15.1 (upgraded from Buster to Bullseye with the
standard Samba packages 4.13, and then to Louis' packages). The AD has
been working without problems for more than 18 months.

Joining with samba-tool works, sort of, with a few error messages that
some *.ldb files were not found, ending the command with domain
successfully joined. Having a look with Users and Computers
administrative tool under Windows, the member server is registered in
AD. There is however, no DNS entry for the new member server. The older
command net ads join works to the point. The member server is registered
both in AD and DNS. I understand that it's a bit awkward getting a DNS
registration, but not a PTR record. In a huge network it's certainly a
great help. Personally, I can digest that I must set up a PTR record for
the Linux box myself, as it's a very small network.

I'm grateful that this problem is under active discussion, otherwise I
would probably have been tearing my hair, and using foul language. As an
advanced user I'm not going to dig down too much in the Samba innards,
and I'm satisfied that I can continue with configuration of the server.

Thanks to the developers for a great product, and the list moderators
and members for really useful discussions!

Peter