[Samba] SID history secondary group set bloat

Weiser, Michael michael.weiser at atos.net
Thu Jun 10 06:27:44 UTC 2021

Hi slow,

> > root at debian:/var/cache/samba# id EXAMPLE\\secretuser
> > uid=301142(EXAMPLE\secretuser) gid=300513(EXAMPLE\domain users) groups=300513(EXAMPLE\domain users),301142(EXAMPLE\secretuser),472199(EXAMPLE\secret),572198(EXAMPLE\secret),301141(EXAMPLE\secret),301132(EXAMPLE\cae)

> from skimming over your mail, this look pretty much as expected I would say.

Thinking about it, I can see how autorid's behaviour would make sense for the actual SID history use-case, i.e. keeping the SID history SID to gid mapping stable during a migration.

> What did you expect? What is not working?

My question remains if there's a way to prevent SID history SIDs from being mapped once they're no longer needed on a particular samba server, to prevent unnecessary bloating of the secondary group list, i.e. if there's a way to tell autorid (or nss) to recognize that 472199(EXAMPLE\secret), 572198(EXAMPLE\secret) and 301141(EXAMPLE\secret) are all the same group and only add gid 301141 to the UNIX token.

Thanks,
Michael