[Samba] Ubuntu upgrade, now unable to access shares or join domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 22 12:15:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-07-22 at 08:31 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-07-22 at 09:16 +0200, andrea ballarati via samba wrote:
> > In ubuntu 20.04 samba doesn't support smbv1. It must be enabled
> > manually.
> >

> It very probably is the removal of SMBv1, but I would still like to
> see
> the smb.conf from the OP's DC, if it is running nmbd then it might
> actually be a PDC.
>
> Rowland

OK, I stumbled across the OP's post to the ubuntu forum about this and
I am more and more certain that he is running an NT4-style domain
controller (aka PDC). If this is case, then he needs to add a couple of
lines to his smb.conf

client min protocol = NT1
server min protocol = NT1

He then needs to start planning to upgrade to AD, NT4-style domains are
on the way out. Samba has already deprecated them and is working hard
to totally remove them.

Rowland