[Samba] multiuser with simple user mapping

Eric Levy contact at ericlevy.name
Mon Jul 12 20:23:28 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-07-12 at 12:26 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 05:00:33PM -0400, Eric Levy via samba wrote:
> > It seems not be what I want. What I want is multiple users on the
> > client accessing the same mount but with different permissions
> > enforced
> > for each. I want the permissions to reflect the permissions for the
> > corresponding users on the NAS.
> >
> > It seems by now it has been made clear that it is impossible to
> > achieve
> > this result without some kind of domain server, so I suppose what
> > benefits me most now is instructions for provisioning a domain
> > server
> > on the Synology DiskStation NAS as easily as possible, assuming
> > minimal
> > previous knowledge of domains.
>
> If the uid's are unified on the NAS server and the client,
> then all you need to is a multiuser mount (from a Linux
> client).

They're not, not the numeric identifiers. This constraint would require
organizing the system around the automatic choices of the storage
device, which is deeply against my preference. I would much rather use
a simple domain instance, assuming it is possible without too much
sweat and tears.

So far the only unification is on user aliases.