[Samba] confirm deletion - possible?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Jan 26 16:43:49 UTC 2021

Am 26.01.21 um 13:16 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
> On 26/01/2021 12:03, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>> I get feedback that the "power user" (userC in example below) isn't
>> able to access all the deleted files of the other users.
>>
>> And something about 0 bytes files in there ....
>
> We had this recently, it is the way that Windows rename etc works, it
> creates a NULL file then deletes it as part of the process.

I haven't yet checked his mail in detail, but it sounds *wrong* to me?

Does Windows fail here?

>> userC is member of UNIX group "users"
> If Windows is involved, then forget 'users' use 'Domain Users' (which
> 'users' is a member of) instead.

But it isn't a Domain Member or DC ... that's why I assumed ...

And I also forced group users (for years now ... I think that server
started in the days of samba-3.x).

>> I assume I could/should get rid of stuff like "create mask" ? That is
>> historical stuff from years ago, never touched because "works".
>

> If Windows is involved, I would remove a lot of lines from the share and
> then set the permissions from Windows.

I see and agree.

So it seems like: switch over to Windows ACLs first, then apply new
permissions, test vfs_recycle after that.

Right?

thanks @Rowland