[Samba] libsmbclient support for ? < > \ : * | " characters possible?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jan 2 16:55:18 UTC 2021

On 02/01/2021 16:26, Jelle de Jong via samba wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Can we get samba/libsmbclient to support characters that are supporet
> on Linux filesystems like ? < > \ : * | "

Problem is that all of those are illegal characters in Windows filenames
and Samba is an emulation of SMB, so they also need to be illegal on
Samba. I cannot see how Samba could make them legal when connected to by
a Linux machine, but illegal when connected to by a Windows machine, I
mean how would Samba easily know what was connecting ?

Rowland