[Samba] How do I join an Centos8 workstation to an NT4 domain?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 23 16:29:22 UTC 2021

On 23/02/2021 14:19, Nick Howitt via samba wrote:
> Please don't ream me for using an NT4 domain, but that is the beast I
> am stuck with.

You might think you are stuck with it, but unless you plan to upgrade to
Samba AD, you might find you are stuck without it. NT4-style domains are
going away, in fact they were deprecated at 4.13.0

It is your decision, but I felt that I should warn you.

> I am trying to join a Centos 8 workstation to an NT4 domain and the
> only notes I have are not really applicable -
> https://documentation.clearos.com/content:en_us:kb_howtos_add_linux_workstation_to_the_samba_domain.
> It references Ubuntu and its PAM configuration is irrelevant. In any
> case I believe the join is falling down before PAM even comes into play.

Ensure that all the Samba daemons are stopped, then try this '[global]'
section of the smb.conf:

[global]
         domain master = No
         security = DOMAIN
         client min protocol = NT1
         template shell = /bin/bash
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         workgroup = HOME
         idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config HOME : range = 10000000-19999999
         idmap config HOME : backend = rid

Try the join again and if it joins, then start winbind followed by smbd
and nmbd.

Rowland