[Samba] urgent problem with samba 4.13 and chown/chgrp

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Feb 11 10:34:47 UTC 2021

Well, good question, i dont have that enabled in my smb.conf at all.

maybe, nfs4-acl-tools is not installed also.
i do notice one difference, i dont change the primary group "domain users"
and i dont recommend others todo so, yes,
its a switch to "not use chmod/chown/chgrp" i use setfacl getfacl.

but a quick check..
Logged in with a linux user, ( my linuxAdmin for the servers )
chgrp TestGroup somefile.test
chgrp: changing group of 'somefile.test': Operation not permitted

someuserl at dc0:~$ sudo chgrp TestGroup somefile.test
[sudo] password for someuserl:
works fine with sudo

Then logged in on other server, automounted nfs4.1 kerberos authed homedir,
using SSO from windows.

chgrp "users" 'SomeFile.tar.gz' -v
chgrp: changing group of 'SomeFile.tar.gz': Operation not permitted
failed to change group of 'SomeFile.tar.gz' from domain users to users

sudo chgrp "users" 'SomeFile.tar.gz' -v
changed group of 'SomeFile.tar.gz' from domain users to users

chgrp "domain users" 'SomeFile.tar.gz' -v
changed group of 'SomeFile.tar.gz' from users to domain users

so, without sudo you can not change to a "linux" group.
but you can change from a linux group to and AD-group (if it had GID) without sudo.

i hope it helps the topic poster.

Greetz,

Louis