[Samba] adding netbios name stops getent from working

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Apr 15 07:23:15 UTC 2021

Good morning People around the world.

Now, even if you dont have netbios name set in smb.conf,
the defaults are that its using the systems hostname, so dont change that.
And this is why i show this "default" setting in my config.
Using the netbios alias, never dont that really and netbios uses NMBD,
which we shouldnt use anyway.

Basicly it always comes back to these things.
Does the server has the correct IP and is the PTR  record set.
And is the search domain the same as the primary DNS zone
last applies for servers and clients.

PTR, should be there and always checked, and i recommend it for all server to have it, with the PTR, the CNAMES keep working, because the CNAME points
back to the "real" hostname/PTR records.

if you set up like that.
You can use \\servername \\aliasname\ \\servername.fqdn\ \\alias.fqdn\

But, side node, its recommended to use the FQDN.
For example, a fileserver, i set the resolving up like this.

hostname.internal.dom.tld 	A 192.168.0.1
1.0.168.192-in.arpa		PTR hostname.internal.dom.tld
file1.internal.dom.tld		CNAME hostname.internal.dom.tld.

if its also a print server.
ptr1.internal.dom.tld		CNAME hostname.internal.dom.tld.

if its also a proxy server
prx1.internal.dom.tld		CNAME hostname.internal.dom.tld.

for AD-DC's, think in ntp dns what can be used for CNAMEs

And in scripts, settings, GPOS etc etc. i use the alias name in FQDN.
saves time when i need to replace a server of move a funtion/service to an
other server and, setup like this, kerberos keeps working,
Only thing sometimes needed is adding an aliasname (UPN/SPN) in keytab file

I hope this was usefull for you and gave some ideas.

So, Jason, my guess in your case, add the PTR.  ;-)
if you already have the PTR set, then something is off, then post :

dig a $(hostname -f)|grep A

And yes, this next line is one line..

dig -x $(dig a $(hostname -f)|grep A|awk '{ print $NF }' \
 |grep $(hostname -i))

/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/krb5.conf