[Samba] Changing IP Scope on a Samba DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 1 18:41:23 UTC 2020

On 01/09/2020 18:48, Peter Pollock wrote:
> 192.168.1.11 was from a time we tried to increase the number of
> available IP's by adding a virtual IP in Zentyal for the server to
> listen on. It never worked and now Zentyal won't let me remove it, due
> to not being able to save changes.

You really need to fix this. You have two ethernet cards, eth0 & eth1,
do you really need two, could one be removed ?

If it cannot and you only need one, you need to change the 'interfaces'
to only use the one you want.

> We do use .local because Microsoft small business server, which we
> were playing with before we started down this route automatically
> suggested we use the .local extension for internal domains, which we
> stupidly trusted. As far as I can tell Avahi is not running.

Yes, they rather stupidly used to do that, though they now suggest that
it isn't a good idea, but its a bit late now, just never use Avahi on
any Linux machines and don't add any Apple machines to the domain ;-)

Some suggestions:

remove the 'luke' line from /etc/hosts . DNS should find this

Remove these lines from smb.conf:

server role check:inhibit = yes

server signing = auto

dsdb:schema update allowed = yes

winbind enum users = yes

winbind enum groups = yes

rpc server dynamic port range = 49152-65535

Change this line:

interfaces = lo,eth0,eth0:eth2,eth0:eth2,eth1

To this:

interfaces = lo,eth0

Try the Bind9 files I posted earlier

install a couple of packages that don't seem to be installed: attr
libpam-krb5

Rowland