[Samba] Moving users from a Samba 3.6 to 4.9 (tdb)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 8 16:37:38 UTC 2020

On 08/10/2020 17:25, Emmanuel Florac via samba wrote:
> But it's not a domain, no LDAP, no AD. Just a standalone server,
> migrating to another standalone server. Should I do something using
> Samba tool?

No, samba-tool is only used with AD.

As far as I am aware, the standalone server hasn't changed that much
between 3.6 and 4.9 (both of which are EOL as far as Samba is
concerned), so your method probably should have worked.

What OS are you using ?

Have you checked the file ownership on the files you copied ?

What is in your smb.conf ?

I take it that it isn't so much getting Samba to work, it is the file
ownership.

Rowland