[Samba] Performance Question: Lots of Small Files vs One Large File

Christopher Wensink cwensink at five-star-plastics.com
Tue Oct 6 18:09:08 UTC 2020

We had a similar issue that I fought for a while, and the issue was with
the NIC Card settings on the PC's, Turn off energy efficient ethernet,
Green Ethernet, set wake on magic packet  = disabled, turn off any other
power saving modes on the NIC card.

You can also try adjusting MTU settings, but leave it at the default of
1500 on both ends of the connection to start.

Take some base benchmarks for transferring a 10MB file, a 100 MB file
and a 1 GB file without changing anything, then make those changes on
one PC, then test again with the same files, and reply back with the
numbers.

Chris

--
Christopher Wensink