[Samba] Change computer password

Tobias Kirchhofer collect at shift.agency
Tue Mar 31 10:09:52 UTC 2020

Hi,

we work on authenticating computers via 802.1x with Samba AD as backend
of Radius. Everything looks promising.

We ask ourselves if it is a good idea to use the machine account which
are created by joining a computer to the AD.

We can change machine account passwords with `samba-tool user
setpassword COMPUTERNAME$` This works, we have SUCCESS with `eapol_test`
on the Radius server.

The question is if it is save to set and use the machine account
password. Microsoft says a lot about this password:
https://adsecurity.org/?p=280

Does someone has an opinion or/and experience on that?

Tobias

collect at shift.agency