[Samba] autorid broken in samba 4.9?

Nathaniel W. Turner nate at houseofnate.net
Wed Jun 17 14:12:12 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:53 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 17/06/2020 14:25, Nathaniel W. Turner via samba wrote:
> > I realize I never followed up with this. The problem here turned out to
> be
> > that I was doing a "reload" of the samba services (smb, nmb, winbind) to
> > pick up my ID mapping changes in smb.conf. Switching my test case to do a
> > "restart" instead resolved the issue.
> 'reload' just makes the Samba service reload smb.conf after changes to
> it, it doesn't touch anything else

Yeah. It wasn't clear to me which smb.conf settings were picked up by a
reload, and which required a restart. Most share configuration changes only
appear to require a reload, but it seems idmap configuration changes
require a restart (of the winbind service, at least).

> Why is 'realm' re-writing the smb.conf, this sounds like a major bug to
> me, perhaps there should either be another switch
> --smb-conf=do_not_touch, or realm shouldn't touch smb.conf if
> '--client-software=winbind' is set. The other option is to use what
> Samba provides: 'net ads join'

Well, maybe. What 'realm' does here is mostly helpful, as it handles
changing the security, workgroup, and related values as appropriate for the
AD domain (and changes them back when you run "realm leave"). But it sets
suboptimal (IMO) idmap config values, hence the need to rewrite smb.conf
after the 'realm join'.

Probably if 'realm' wasn't so 'helpful', you wouldn't have this problem
> i.e. setup smb.conf before the join, the join doesn't change the
> smb.conf and everything works first time.

Yes, I think that's accurate. =)