[Samba] Samba vs Windows - File sharing in a domain setting

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Tue Jun 2 13:32:02 UTC 2020

I've been working with Samba in an AD domain setting for several years now.
Small potatoes, nothing fancy. A few months ago, I came across the
limitation of Samba, in comparison to file sharing from a Windows server,
that, at the current moment, it doesn't offer an indexing service that is
compatible with Windows Search. So, no matter how much I like Samba, if I
need this feature, I have no choice but to use Windows.

I can't say that I'm very experienced with the file serving capabilities of
Windows, having used Samba predominantly for this task, so I'm really just
wondering, which other such limitations exist when comparing a file share
provided by a Samba member vis-a-vis a file share on Windows server
machine?

It's really not about personal preference, I'm interested in those
situations where Samba is simply not up to the task such as the example for
Windows Search. Or vice versa, where Samba has actually proven to be
better.

Thanks for sharing!

Viktor