[Samba] macintosh disconnect problem

Chad W Seys cwseys at physics.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 2 15:55:20 UTC 2020

Hi Andrea,

> Neither do I.
> I've skimmed briefly a level 10 log and didn't see anything useful, but
> I'd need to look better before I state this for sure.

The preexec / postexec hooks mentioned at
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/478881/275843 work well for this.  I
see Mac clients disconnecting when they have problems, but haven't yet
correlated that occurrence to anything suspicous in the log.smbd file yet.

> However I see smbd crashing on notifications and I'm still investigating
> why and whether the two things are related.
> Do you also see crashes?

I haven't noticed this.  What do you look for to find this?

> Also when did this start?
> Did you do some upgrade?
> Did it work before?

These questions are hard to answer.  I have the suspicion that there is
more than one problem going on AND my end users have just lived with it
for awhile.

I need to do more testing before I have enough to go on before using
someone like Rowland's time. :)

For example, one failure mode is that sometimes macOS (10.13 ,10.15, ?)
will block access to paths hosted by Samba.  It is most easily
reproducible if a DFS link is involved.  So far I know this happens with
Samba 4.9.17, 4.10.11, and 4.11.4 .

Try searching for "finder" and "sandbox" in Console of a Macintosh which
is having problems.  Press "return" after each term so you're not
searchign for "finder sandbox" but "finder" AND "sandbox".

Eventually I'll submit a bug report on that, but need to write it up.

That is not the only problem however.

Chad.