[Samba] AD DC and file server on a virtual machine

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 17:10:18 UTC 2020

Hi blubberbaer,

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 19:26, kaffeesurrogat via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> i'm new to the list and new to samba. Right now I'm trying setup a samba
> ADDC serving around 50 Windows 10 clients and a couple of linux clients.
> [...]
> I set up a virtual machine running linux as guest os, but to be honest,
> i'm lost. I don't know how to integrate the virtual machine into the
> 10.* network to serve as a filesharer.
> [...]
>
> The nating between br0 and eth0 doesn't work. Mmmmm, to be honest, it is
> definitively a wise decision to hide my 10.* network behind nat.

I haven't done this before (my DC hardware isn't powerful enough to
run VMs) but as I understand it, the idea is that the host running AD
DC shouldn't be used for a fileserver - therefore a new (virtual) host
is set up for use as a fileserver. So far, so good.

I wonder if the problem you're having might be to do with NAT?

You mention that your eth1 network is connected to the clients - but
the mention of NAT worries me a little, as server services behind NAT
tend to be more troublesome to get working (and also if there is only
a single IP address being NATted, then there could be conflicts
between the AD DC and the VM running as a fileserver)

Are you able to bridge (and not NAT) your fileserver VM on the eth1
network, so that it gets a real IP address on that subnet, and doesn't
use NAT? The clients should ideally be able to reach the fileserver
directly, not via NAT. It wasn't clear to me from your original post
where the NAT was being applied.

Can you confirm what IP address your fileserver VM has - is it in the
same IP address range as the Windows clients, and can they communicate
with it in both directions?

Hope that helps give some pointers at least,

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"
      - Albert Einstein