[Samba] getent passwd blank response

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 17 14:21:18 UTC 2020

On 17/08/2020 15:01, Robert E. Wooden via samba wrote:
> On 8/17/2020 8:46 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> getent passwd rowland
>> rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash
>>
> That worked.
>
> Per your example output (above) should I also add the "home" directory
> and a "login-shell" as the same time?

You can if you wish, but you only need to if the user is actually going
to log into the Unix domain member. By default there are a couple of
smb.conf parameters 'template shell' and 'template homedir', the
defaults are '/bin/false' and '/home/DOMAIN/username'. These can be
overridden by explicitly setting the template lines in smb.conf with
your required values, or by setting the 'unixHomeDirectory' and
'loginShell' attributes in each users AD object.

Rowland