[Samba] getent passwd blank response

Robert E. Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Mon Aug 17 13:35:28 UTC 2020

On 8/17/2020 8:21 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> The '3000013' is not a uidNumber, it is an 'xidNumber' and these are
> only used on a DC and unless you sync 'idmap.ldb' from the first DC to
> all other DC's, you cannot guarantee getting the same ID on all DC's
>
> uidNumber attributes are not added automatically, you must add them
> manually, same goes for gidNumber attributes.

I am not arguing with you because, I think your correct (you usually are).

I manually added the "Domain Users" group id (10000) with samba-tool
(samba-tool group addunixattrs "Domain Users" 10000, I think without
looking thru my notes) some time ago.

The member smb.conf has "idmap config WKDOM : range = 10000-999999" and
gid started with 10000, should uid start at (for example) 10001 (for
first user to be mapped) and increase sequence (+1 as in 10002) for
subsequent users?

(Adding uid & gid manually, I am aware that I will need to keep a record
of these.)

Guide lines you can point me to or confirm I am correct here?

--

Bob Wooden