[Samba] Samba domain member DC preferred list

Andrea Cucciarre' acucciarre at cloudian.com
Mon Apr 20 17:20:40 UTC 2020

Hello Rowland,

One of my customer is reporting that sometime intermittently they can't
access the share.
When the issue appear the "wbinfo ping-dc"  and "net ads info" show the
following:

# /opt/samba/bin/wbinfo --ping-dc
checking the NETLOGON for domain[FLEET] dc connection to "" failed
failed to call wbcPingDc: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

# /opt/samba/bin/net ads info
LDAP server: 10.5.20.13
LDAP server name: VSPWADRO01M.FLEET.AD
Realm: FLEET.AD
Bind Path: dc=FLEET,dc=AD
LDAP port: 389
Server time: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 01:08:45 EDT
KDC server: 10.5.20.13
Server time offset: 0
Last machine account password change: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 11:48:12 EST

It seems the issue started when they added a read only domain
controller, which is just VSPWADRO01M.FLEET.AD
When the issue is recovered the "wbinfo ping-dc"  and "net ads info"
show the following, so the DC selected is not VSPWADRO01M.FLEET.AD

# /opt/samba/bin/net ads info
LDAP server: 10.5.2.11
LDAP server name: PSPWAD01P.FLEET.AD
Realm: FLEET.AD
Bind Path: dc=FLEET,dc=AD
LDAP port: 389
Server time: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 03:59:19 EDT
KDC server: 10.5.2.11
Server time offset: 0
Last machine account password change: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 11:48:12 EST

# /opt/samba/bin/wbinfo --ping-dc
checking the NETLOGON for domain[FLEET] dc connection to
"vspwad01p.FLEET.AD" succeeded

Regards
Andrea

Regards