[Samba] bind-dns folder permissions with bind-dlz configuration 4.10

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Sep 11 08:37:58 UTC 2019

Sure it was,  ;-),  maybe not that one specific site link but it was on wiki
and my google searches do show that.. Im always wondering what people used for there searches.
When they can find it.

I also noticed on the link:  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End

Verify that your /etc/krb5.conf Kerberos client configuration file is readable by your BIND user. For example:
# ls -l /etc/krb5.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root named 99  2. Sep 2014  /etc/krb5.conf

Im wondering.. /etc/krb5.conf is setup to 644, why is named added if we have 644?
Second, if we dont have 644 and we use 640,
Then use setfacl and not chmod ...  add the needed users to the a group and allow it to read it.

My "in general rule" here is, if its only used by one program, you can use chmod and apply posix rights.
If a file/folder needs to be read by multiple users, of use groups or add extra acls.
This is a part we should correct a bit.

A few simple tips in howto improve you google skills.

Lets take this example. > google: "samba wiki bind9 dlz chmod"
Prio of words, from left to right. Important -> less important.

Howto improve the above string:
Google: +samba wiki +bind9 dlz chmod
+ means, this MUST be on the website.
- means, this MUST NOT be on the website.

More direct search.
+samba wiki +bind9 dlz chmod +site:wiki.samba.org -site:www.samba.org
Means, only search on the site wiki.samba.org for the words, and remove any www.samba.org results.

And here you go only 2 link with the correct info.

Now back to the buster 4.11rc4 build..  ;-)

Greetz,

Louis