[Samba] DNS timestamps

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Thu Oct 24 16:14:44 UTC 2019

Hey Rowland,

  OK, The DNS MMC does let you mark whether a record is supposed to be
static (timestamp = 0 I think) or not but changing it does not seem to
work. As I really don't want to get stuck using windows to manage DNS, is
there a way to do a "samba-tool dns add" that creates a static entry?

My goal is to get things cleaned up so I can turn on scavenging and further
be able to create dynamic entries (from DHCP for example) versus static
entries for servers on the command line.

Thanks,
Greg

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:46 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 24/10/2019 15:38, Greg Dickie via samba wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I have site running 4.11.0 with internal DNS and we want to turn on
> DNS
> > scavenging. Looking at the timestamps in DNS MMC they are all over the
> > place and trying to update the timestamp gives a "The record does not
> > exist" error. My question is whether this is supposed to work and whether
> > there is a way to manipulate that data on the command line with
> samba-tool
> > etc?
> >
> > As a follow-up, is there a better way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> >
> Are you talking about things like when a DNS record is created etc ?
>
> If so, these are created/updated by the system, you cannot alter them
> manually.
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Greg Dickie