[Samba] I can't get Win10 clients to sync time with the DC

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Sun Nov 17 19:03:45 UTC 2019

On 17.11.2019 18:10, Sonic wrote:
> I'm going to blame this on my "some other weird magic" phrase. My
> clients do indeed have the proper time but I'm not sure why.
> Even though the net time argument runs correctly the following it
> seems does not:
> ==========================
> PS C:\Windows\system32> w32tm /monitor
> dc.example.com *** PDC ***[192.168.1.5:123]:
>      ICMP: 0ms delay
>      NTP: error ERROR_TIMEOUT - no response from server in 1000ms
> ==========================
> Clearly the windows time service is expecting to find port 123 (ntp)
> open on the DC, which is not the case here.
> So it appears Samba only signs the time but does not provide it.
> I'll have to look into why it's working so well for me. Didn't mean to
> lead you down a rabbit hole.

Which begs the question, are you sure that your clients are getting
their time from the DC? When you open your system time settings (right
click on the time, press "adjust date/time") , does it confirm that the
time source is indeed your DC? What is the output of w32tm /query
/configuration and w32tm /query /status, respectively, on your system?

At any rate, it does seem as if everything is properly configured on my
end, all these commands yield the expected result. And yet, my clients
don't sync their time with the DC. If anyone else can chime in here, I'd
appreciate it.

Viktor